Publisher: Ambrosia
On Sale Date: May 1 2025
Pages: 292
I reviewed a digital review copy from the publisher
Vancouver's Chinatown is lesser known than for example, the Chinatowns in New York and San Francisco. But it has a long and interesting history that is finally written down with the most beautiful illustrations in the book Chinatown Vancouver, and Illustrated History by Donna Seto. The book describes how the Chinese people landed in Canada and the many contributions they made to the Canadian community and society and the many hardships the Chinese had to endure. The book is buildup of seventy of the most beautiful illustration by Donna Seto of many significant buildings in Vancouver's Chinatown, and she describes the history of every particular building from the past till now. Stores, social organisations, restaurants, and also writes about the hardships Chinatowns are facing now, especially after the pandemic, which saw many iconic stores that where there for decades, suddenly close, like Ming Wo Cookware.It is just a fabulous book, a book that is just one of a kind and very original. The illiustrations are just perfect and the setup of the whole book is magnificent! I also learned a lot about a Chinatown I didn't know much about. I truly recommend reading it!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave a comment here, but keep it nice!